About Local Aid
About This Shop
Local Aid for children and community special needs aims to support young people with disabilities in Swansea by raising public awareness of aspirations and by providing specialist services and support to families to achieve.
Project and activities include:
• Buddies – an all-day Saturday Club that supports children age 8 to 18 with severe learning opportunities and challenging behaviour providing fun, choice opportunities, skills development, and respite for families.
• Diversity – Weekly Play/youth club sessions supporting children, young people, and their families, who are on the Autistic Spectrum.
• Take That – Training and work experience aimed at increasing skills and confidence among young people and adults with additional support needs – all gaining OCN accreditation.
• Young volunteering project – Training, activities, and support for volunteer age 15 to 25 including Millennium volunteers and youth university awards, within the health and social care sector, volunteers gaining experience in disabilities, communication and play via volunteering with Buddies.
• Treatment and Travel Grants – Small financial support offered to families of children who are unable to receive funding from a statutory source
Local Aid has 4 Charity shops in Swansea all being in the heart of communities by:
1. Reaching out to others by providing opportunities for involvement via volunteering
2. Reusing, recycling, and reducing items being sent to landfill – Low-cost clothing and furniture to the community.
3. Community support providing practical support, clothing, equipment, and furnishing including winter bedding bales, baby & children’s items to families, and those in our community facing hardship.